Skilled Worker Visa
What is a Skilled Worker Visa?
A skilled worker visa is for anyone looking to settle in the UK as they have been offered a full-time employment opportunity. When applying, there are certain factors that make you eligible for a skilled worker visa.
The job offer must be made by an employer that the Home Office sponsors in order to successfully qualify as well as qualify for the approved list of skilled occupations or shortage occupation list.
You must have the job offer in place in order to apply for a skilled worker visa. Once you accept, your new employer will be able to issue you a certificate of sponsorship needed to make your application.
The question of how long can you stay in the UK skilled worker visa depends on a number of factors. You must update or extend your visa before it expires if you change jobs. When doing so, you must check again that your new employer qualities are also on the skilled occupations and occupation list and that you still qualify against the requirements.Contact us
What Are The Requirements Of A Skilled Worker Visa
When applying for a skilled worker visa, as of 1st December 2020, a new points system in which a candidate can qualify. The new system works on a points system in which you need 70 points to be eligible; this benefits you as it means that there are options on the tradable characteristics that contribute to your 70 points.
The three mandatory requirements are listed as:
- Offer of a job by an approved sponsor- 20 POINTS
- The job is at an appropriate skill level – 20 POINTS
- You can speak English at the required level- 10 POINTS
These three mandatory requirements account for 50 total points. From there, you can qualify for having either of the below conditions to make up your necessary 70 points.
- A salary of £23,040 to £25,599 or at least 90% of the going rate for the profession (whichever is higher). 10 POINTS
- A Salary of £25,600 or above or at least the going rate for the profession (whichever is higher). 20 POINTS
- Job in a shortage occupation as designated by the Migration Advisory Committee 20 POINTS
- Applicant is a new entrant to the labour market (as designated by the MAC). 20 POINTS
- Education qualification: PhD in a subject relevant to the job. 10 POINTS
- Education qualification: PhD in a STEM subject relevant to the job. 20 POINTS
Although this seems simple enough, there are further regulations on salary requirements and English language requirements for a skilled workers visa. In this case, it is vital to have a consultation with an immigration lawyer for further information as every case is circumstantial.