The United Kingdom continues to reign as one of the most desired destinations for foreign high-net-worth individuals to relocate to. London is often the preferred location for UNHWI’s on the Tier 1 Investor Visa to reside.
For many foreign investors, particularly those from the Middle East, the UK is an attractive market to grow their business or investments. Many of those on the investor visa category place significant value on the UK being the hub of their international business.
For family members of investors, the UK is desirable owing to its prestigious private education system. The UK is considered by the globally wealthy as a country where the financial and banking system is sophisticated and secure in comparison to other countries.
Basic Criteria For The UK Tier 1 Investor Visa:
The investor visa criteria requires that an applicant must demonstrate (amongst other requirements):
- They have access to their own money;
- Under their control;
- Held in a regulated financial institution; and
- Amounting to no less than £2 Million Pounds GBP.
Please note: applicants can rely upon funds held in a foreign financial institution provided that the funds are freely transferable to the UK and that the foreign financial institution are able to confirm this in writing.
What counts as an investment under the Tier 1 Investor Visa?
- The minimum investment amount of £2million GBP can be invested by way of share capital in a UK active, registered and trading company.
- The minimum investment amount of £2million GBP can be invested by way of loan capital in a UK active, registered and trading company.
What no longer counts in 2021 as an investment under the Tier 1 Investor Visa?
- Investment in UK Government Bonds no longer count as an ‘investment’ on this visa route and cannot be relied upon.
- Investment in Offshore companies does not count as an ‘investment’ on this visa route and cannot be relied upon.
Other points to note:
Applicants are not required to evidence business experience, or the ability to speak English as part of the initial tier 1 investor visa application. Investors are permitted to take up employment or education should they desire.
The Home Office Expectation:
- The UK Home Office expect the investor and their dependents to intend to make the United Kingdom their home in order to secure indefinite leave to remain.
- Holders of the Tier 1 Investor Visa should not be absent for more than 180 days in any 12 month period in order to apply for ILR at the earliest opportunity.
The team at Branch Austin McCormick LLP have extensive experience in securing a successful determination on the Tier 1 Investor Visa route. Our corporate team have particular experience with complex tier 1 investor cases. Should you wish to discuss your prospective case further, please contact Jayesh Jethwa, Charlotte Catto or Hal Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, the information on this blog is for general purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to amount to legal advice. Whilst we strive to ensure the information and law provided is as accurate as possible at the date of publication, it should be noted that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the current legal position. Branch Austin McCormick LLP accepts no liability for loss which may arise from accessing or relying upon the information within this blog. For formal legal advice please contact our Immigration Department.